Friday, July 14, 2006

The bone marrow biopsy was definitely an interesting experience. It really didn't hurt, but there were some wild sensations. I woke up this morning not feeling very good so I wasn't looking forward to having the test done. Dad picked me up promptly at 9:00 and we were on our way. We got to the office, I checked in, and we sat in the waiting area. We had coffee, talked, and waited. I noticed a woman who looked familiar but I couldn't place her. She looked at me the same way. It wasn't until I was laying in the room after the test did it come to me. The nurse called my name, took me back to the room where the bone marrow biopsy would be done and administered a shot of Demerol to relax me. About 20-25 minutes later the technician came in. I was relaxed and the procedure started. she numbed my right hip area and began collecting samples. I felt no pain. I could feel pressure at times. The technician explained what she was doing as she went along. First she collected fluid samples, which created an icy prickly sensation that ran from my hip, down my buttocks, into my thigh. very interesting. Then she collected bone samples. That created a warm rippling prickly sensation that went straight though my groin area. Another interesting sensation. The test was over. I was bandaged up and had to lay on my back. The office had also scheduled an echocardiogram for today. That technician came in, set up his equipment and ran his test. It was pretty much an ultrasound of the heart. It took about 15 minutes. The echocardiogram was done to have a record of the function of my heart because treatment may cause damage to the heart and the doctors needed a reference point to monitor the effects. After the technician left, I started thinking about the woman in the waiting area and tried to figure out where I knew her from. The first mental image that came to me was of Club Marilyn happy hour buffet late 1980s. That was it, her name was Vanessa and I worked with her at Kemper. The nurse came in told me I was all done for the day, I could get dressed and head out. The woman was gone from the waiting area so I didn't get a chance to say hello. Now I have a few days rest before the next test. I am tired so I'm going to take a nap.

0 comments: