Thursday, July 13, 2006

Today I had my appointment with the Oncologist. Lots of information to convey. First Impressions are good. He was very thorough about explaining what Hodgkins Lymphoma is. In basic terms it is the uncontrolled growth of abnormal blood cells. He went on to explain the Stages I, II, III, and IV. Stage I involves one lymph node area primarily. Stage II involves two or more lymph node areas below the diaphragm. Stage III involves lymph nodes above and below the diaphragm. Stage IV involves lymph nodes and bone marrow. Mind you, I am not a doctor and could have the staging too simplified. The stages can be categorized as standard or 'B' if symptoms include fevers, night sweats, and weight loss. My symptoms include these. Then there is grading within the stages. they include Lymphacyte, Modular, Mixed Cellularity, and Lymphacyte Depletion. The array of tests with determine my stage and grade. He then explained treatment as Chemotherapy +/- Radiation; ABMT/Allogenic; Stem Cell transplant. Treatment depends on the staging process. The staging process includes a number of tests which have been scheduled. Today I had a hell of a lot of blood drawn. 11 tubes full. They are for a complete blood work up. Tomorrow I will be having a Bone Marrow Biopsy. Next Tuesday I will be having a PET Scan. I am scheduled for my next doctor's appointment and first treatment next week Friday. They move fast. I am ready though.

Aside from all the information I am digesting, I just want to say thanks to my entire family for your love and support. It means everything to me. My friends have been incredible themselves and I love each and everyone of you. You've all made an impact and difference in my life and I am grateful for having you in my life.

The first thing the Doctor said after introducing himself was "my goal for treatment is to cure you". I liked hearing that. He made me feel confident. Good impression. After all explanations, I had a complete exam. Stats: 97.9 temperature; 139 lbs (I gained some weight back!) 100/60 Blood Pressure and my pulse was 80bpm. All good. Lungs clear. He then checked all lymph node regions, liver, and spleen. Without the bloodwork or scan to confirm, the doctor believes I am either Stage I B or early Stage II B. The resulting test will confirm my stage. That is promising, but we will wait for test results. Overall, I feel good about things after meeting with the doctor. I needed to sit with him.

I now feel I am walking the path to recovery, to being well. It may be an arduous journey, but I am on my way.

0 comments: