Friday, May 08, 2009

Magnolias

My brother Tim has been talking about two magnolia trees down on the UWM campus for weeks, waiting for them to bloom. Back in the day when I wandered the campus, the trees were there, and I was oblivious to them as I walked by them. For the first couple of weeks they were budding, unremarkable in their appearance. I didn't see them last week, so we walked by them this week. They were in full bloom. Beautiful, Stately, Majestic and the air around them scented. I never knew they were magnolia trees.

Today is a warm Spring day, so instead of hopping in the car to run errands, I decided to walk to the auto parts store. It was nice to get out and enjoy the weather. I purchased the spark plugs, wires, rotor, and cap needed to tune up the Jeep and walked home along Lake Drive. I noticed a number of blossoming magnolia trees on the way home. I smiled as I passed, a secret revealed, a little truth in the beauty of trees, a little bit of knowledge of the wonder of nature.

Thanks Tim!

0 comments: